Sunday, April 9, 2017

Styling Greenery - 1

Whenever you use colour in interiors, you have to decide how much you want to see of it. The brightness of the colour can be an important deciding factor - a bright colour attracts the eye and over time you may grow tired of it. However, it should not deter you from using them, if it is what you want. As I said in my previous post I have been inspired by Douglas Elliman Florida to share my thoughts on the best way to utilize the colour of the year. And as this year's trend colour is greenery, we got some really vibrant hue to style an interior with!

In interiors you can use colour on three surfaces:
1 - walls, rugs, carpets - they are huge surfaces with big impact
2 - furniture (beware, a big kitchen unit might have similar effect to a sizeable wall)
3 - accessories (including small furniture)

For this moodboard, I chose a sofa in bright green. Once you have a green sofa, especially a bright one, it is already vibrant enough for the room, but I brought it back in the pattern of the wallpaper. I strongly advise using a wallpaper like this on one wall or on a smaller part of the wall only, and preferably not fully behind the sofa.

A colour can be paired with other colours (just one or two), or can be the only one to stand out from neutrals. If you have one bright colour, you may want it to stand against a toned down shade; if you have a light colour, it may look good against a dark one. Greenery is bright and relatively light. For this moodboard I paired it with dark blue, together they create a youthful but a bit serious atmosphere. 
I found these colours and the hexagonal patterns might be too strict for a home, but could look very good in an office environment, in the waiting area, teamed with greys, white and black. 
In my next post I will show you a possible styling for a masculine interior. 
Colour Greenery Interior Mood Board

No comments:

Post a Comment